I thought of a new series. My top songs from each musical I love. I want it to my top ten songs; but I can’t think of ten, will be much lower. I will start with Wicked; only because it sparked my love for musicals.
1. For Good- of course, this is one of my favorites. This one is the most emotional song from the entire musical. This represents the center core the musical: the friendship between Elphaba and Glinda. This is when the two talk about what they mean to each other; but bittersweet in the sense that they will never see each other other again. I have a rule for Elphaba and Glinda actresses: you cannot have an excellent Elphaba without an excellent Glinda and you cannot have cannot have an excellent Glinda without an excellent Glinda without an excellent Elphaba: the show just wouldn’t work out.
2. Popular- I have a very very special reason behind this. At age 12 when I first saw Wicked. I saw the show on Broadway and ate the age of 12, this was my favorite song. Due to that memory, it was my favorite song from Wicked ever since. It was the first moment the girls truly have become friends. It is a hilarious song and you truly start to understand Glinda through this number.
3. Wizard and I- This is Elphaba’s first big moment. You get to see Elphaba’s innocence and hope in this song. You first truly meet Elphaba in this song. That is why I love it so much.
4. Defying Gravity- Elphaba no longer is much innocent in this song. Instead she has matured in this song. She has decided to go on another path and this is when she has matured. This is a perfect act I closer and one of the best special effect moments.
5. I’m Not That Girl- just like For Good is an emotional song, so is I’m Not That Girl. This song after all is about unrequited love. This is the first moment we hear this song. Elphaba sings this version. Elphaba understands she isn’t good enough for Fiyero because after all she is green. She even decides not to pursue Fiyero because of her best friend. So this song is heartbreaking after all.
6. Dancing Through Life- this is when Fiyero gets into the story. I love how this is when Elphaba and Glinda finally get to bond with each other. It is one of the best dancing numbers in the show. A lot is going on this number: this is when Fiyero and Glinda start going out: You learn that Nessa loves Boq: you also learn that Boq has a crush on Glinda. Yes, that sounds like a lot. There is a school dance in there as well. Still many many things happen in this song. My favorite moment in this song is when Glinda makes something special out of Elphaba’s silly dance.
7. What is This Feeling- this is a wonderful dance number. You get a feeling of how much Glinda and Elphaba feel about each other about other at first. They dislike each other at first. You even see how many people feel about Elphaba as well. This is just an unique dance scene to look at as well.
8. One Short Day- I just love this number by seeing all of the Emerald City costumes. Now you truly know that Elphaba and Glinda are best friends. I just love the different spectacle moments in this songs.
9. As Long As Your’e Mine- well act I has Elphaba’s unrequited love song, I’m Not That Girl. Now Elphaba is singing with Fiyero a love song. So Fiyero has realized he is in love with Elphaba in act II. This song has this mystical feeling taking place in the forest with them kneeling in fog. They both have truly matured at the time. Elphaba is no longer that innocent and Fiyero is not that jerk he was in act I. The song reflects that. The song is so unexpected. So the love triangle is complicated in the fact that you never think these two will fall in love with each other for a multiple of each other: well Elphaba used to dislike him; then Elphaba fell in love with him, but then she has unrequited love for him, but in act II he realized his true feelings for her.
for now, I only have a top 9. The next group will be for Les Mis- oh boy.