Musical fans are aware of this. We usually have our favorite song in a musical. However, have we fully thought of the reasoning? Does it have to do with the emotion? Does it have to do with the actor and actress? Does it have to due to with the character? Does it have to do with the meaning of the song? Does have to have to do with a memory? This is will be a difficult post- it will be about why a song is our favorite song in a musical. Sometimes, even I don’t have a reasoning behind that. I think a best reason is to bring up my favorite song from certain musicals, and try to describe why they are my favorite song from the musical itself.
Corner of the Sky
- A huge reason behind this comes from the fact that it is the main reason why I wanted to see Pippin in the first place. It is also one of the strongest “I Want” songs I described in musical theatre. Some may not agree with me and may agree with me. It actually does not just describe what Pippin wants in life, but I believe it also relates to our life in general as well. If I never heard this song, Pippin would not have been in my life. “Corner of the Sky” is the place where we truly belong.
Seize the Day
- It is actually the beginning of the Newsies strike. I found it to be my favorite Newsies number because of the dance. I think it has the most advanced staging out of all the numbers. In one moment, all of them (well, most of them) are dancing on newspapers. It strongly has to do with the dance and some of the lyrics- “Courage cannot erase our fear. Courage is when we face our fear”. Those lyrics are what made me release Newsies is meaningful to me, and I think represent Newsies as a whole.
- You would think, I would choose “Defying Gravity” or “For Good” for my favorite song for Wicked, but that is not true. It does come from the fact that I was 12 when I first saw Wicked. My favorite song from Wicked is a memory thing. My favorite song from Wicked when I was 12 was Popular, and that is true to this day. It really is a memory thing- I saw Wicked in 2006 for the first time.
Beauty and the Beast
- It does sound cliche that my favorite song from Beauty and the Beast is “Beauty and the Beast”. It is Belle and Beast’s main love song. I did watch the cartoon- yes, I sort of forgot I did love the cartoon. However, this song never left my memory. There is something unique and special about Disney love songs. They have this magic in them. Belle and Beast are my favorite classic Disney couple. Their “Beauty and the Beast” song is an incredible one to watch- ever since watching the live action 2017 film, my love for Beauty and the Beast came back. The song actually affects me on a more emotional level.
A Whole New World
- Even from Aladdin, my favorite song is the main love song. Flying on a magic carpet while singing this song is incredible to witness. So magical in so many ways. Still seems cliche to say this is my favorite song- but it still is my favorite song from Aladdin. Just like Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin had to reenter my life, which was through the live action movie.
Can You Feel the Love Tonight
- Once again, this is another main love song. It is still a classic Disney musical. You still feel the magic and innocence in this song just like the others. It is not cliche- even though to others it seems that way.
Seasons of Love
- This song is one of the messages of Rent. Rent is all about what to do with life. It is about how to measure life. The song is about measuring your life in love. There are only 525,600 minutes in one year. It is hard to describe why this is the favorite song from Rent. I just know this is my favorite song from Rent.
- This totally highlights the character of Annie. She is an optimistic child, and that is the main characteristic you see in you. I have always loved that song. I will never grow tired of that song.
Seventy Six Trombones
- This has been my favorite song from Music Man. I love the patriotic nature of the song. When I saw the musical, the production had the Harold Hill go out in the audience making us feel like we are part of River City. I still believe a lot of the patriotic and energetic nature of the song made it my favorite song from the musical.
- So, there are many reasons why a song is your favorite song in a musical. It can be a memory, the meaning, and the emotion. However- you usually just know a song is your favorite song. I only listed a few of my favorite songs from certain musical.