Well, originally I did not keep the playbill. So there are some productions where I have no clue who was in my cast. So, which playbills do I actually own. I decided to make a list of them below.
- Mamma Mia- 2009
- La Cage- June 2012
- Godspell- September 2012
- Wicked- 2013
- Les Mis- CPCC (November 2013)
- Phantom of the Opera- May 2014
- Annie- December 2014
- Music Man- March 2015
- Pippin- 2015
- Les Mis- West End (July 30th, 2015)
- Sound of Music- November 2015
- Wicked- January 2016
- Newsies- Blumenthal (August 2016)
- Rent- September 2017
- Les Mis- Greenville (November 5th, 2017)
- Oklahoma-June 2018
- Grease- June 2018
- Newises- CPCC (July 2018)
- Lion King- 2018
- A Christmas Story- The Musical- December 2018
- Fiddler on the Roof- February 2019
- Aladdin- September 11th, 2019
- Les Mis- November 3rd, 2019
- Come From Away- January 2020
Of all of these, I was in culture shock with my West End playbill. In the US, audience members don’t buy the playbill: we are given it at the door. In the West End, you have to buy it: that was total surprise to me. I also wasn’t expecting a big playbill. Below I had to include the movie poster of Mamma Mia because I don’t have a picture of the playbill yet.
So, what playbills are missing- some I know when I saw it.
- Lion King/Seussical/Cats- know it was elementary school, but don’t know which year
- Wicked- Broadway (August 2006)
- Oliver- Summer 2007
- Wicked- 2008 (I think)
- Addams Family- October 2011
- Porgy and Bess- Summer 2014
- Scrooge- December 2014
- Little Shop of Horrors- February 2017 (I wanted to collect one, but Gardner Webb ran out- so my university did not print out enough playbills), but at least I actually knew some of my actors/actresses
- La Bohème- January 2020: here’s the thing, I wanted to keep it, but lost it
So, it really took a long time to want to collect the playbills. Mamma Mia may have been the earliest, but some were left out. So, in the shows I saw growing up, I have no clue who I saw in some of those shows. I really started to collect them in 2012: but even some musicals after that don’t have a playbill. I really try to collect them. My snow-globe collection is just as amazing.
So do you collect playbills? If not, what do you collect?