I have mentioned more than once who my favorite friendships in musicals are. I now can update that because I can add one more to that list. Even my favorite friendships vary.
Friends of the ABC
- I have loved Enjolras and the students for (I think) six years now. I love the brotherly bond they share, and it is a bond that makes them feel like family. Enjolras is their leader. They have a cause they truly believe in and have high hopes for it. It is amazing how passionate they are about it. Even when Enjolras gives them a chance to leave to not waste lives, they still keep their ground and stay- their bond is that strong. No matter what- they are still are going to fight- even when they know they are going to loss and loss their lives.
Eponine and Marius
This is an unpopular opinion, but I love their friendship. It may not be in the book, but only in the musical, but I still love that exists in the musical. Eponine and Marius are seen as close friends in the musical. Eponine is deeply and strongly in love with Marius- he is the only person who shows her kindness, and that is why she loves him. Marius is in love with Cosette, but Eponine risks her life several times for him just to protect him and make sure he’s happy no matter the cost. He is all she has in life, and the only good thing in her life. Her unrequited love leads her to the barricade.
Marius is aware that Eponine has a tough life and is worried about her. When he saw her at the barricade, he sends her away with a letter to Cosette: this might seems selfish, but he only sent her away in hopes to protect her from any harm from the barricade. He did not want her to get hurt or killed during the uprising. However, Eponine did come back and sacrificed her life for Marius noticing that he was about to get shot. The wound she got was fatal- the first thing Marius said was why she came back: that was only because he was worried. When she collapsed, he noticed her gunshot wound and realized that she was dying. He was devastated, but he still decided to show her compassion by holding her and comforting her. It may not have been easy on Marius, but at least he was with her- that was all that mattered to Eponine- much more than the physical pain she was in.
Do you know how I know that Marius knew Eponine lived a tough life: it was what he said after she died: “Her name was Eponine. Her life was cold and dark. yet she was unafraid”
- The Newsies are a parallel to the Friends of the ABC. Just like them, they have a leader, who is Jack Kelly. The Newsies have a brotherly love for each other, and the Newsies are one family. They have a cause (the strike) they truly believe in, and never give up.
Jack Kelly and Crutchie
- While on the topic of Newsies, I have to bring up the bond between Jack and Crutchie. Jack Kelly is the leader of the Newsies, and is best friends with Crutchie. Crutchie is the most vulnerable of the Newsies because he has a bum leg, and has to walk with the aid of a crutch. Out of all the Newsies, Jack has the closest bond to Crutchie. Jack cares a lot more about his brothers than the strike- it hurts him a great deal when he sees all of the Newsies getting hurt especially when he sees Crutchie getting arrested knowing that his friend will be taken to The Refuge. It is quite an intimate and special bond Jack and Crutchie have- it is strongly shown in the opening number: “Santa Fe (Prologue)”.
Cogsworth and Lumiere
- Is it weird to love a friendship between a talking candle and a talking clock? That is exactly what Cogsworth and Lumiere are. I still do not know what I love about these two.
Elphaba and Glinda
- There is no way to have a favorite friendship list without Elphaba and Glinda. That is because Wicked revolves around their friendship. Wicked has two unexpected relationships, and one of them is the relationship between Elphaba and Glinda. They hated each other in the beginning even though they had to be roommates. It was at a school dance when they finally bonded- Glinda made something magical out of Elphaba’s silly dance. They finally were able to become friends. They would not let a boy get in the way of their friendship- they both end up with unrequited love for Fiyero, and they each decide to not pursue him or steal him away from their best friend- yes, Wicked has an unrequited love shift. “For Good” perfectly explains their relationship, and that song is the most emotional song in the musical.
- The group of friends in Rent is another group of friends that are like family. They do everything together: Mark, Roger, Mimi, Joanne, Maureen, Collins, and Angel are those group of friends. Sometimes it is a struggle, but there is always love found among all of them.
Aladdin, Babkak, Omar, Kassim
- I only fell in love with this particular friendship a week ago. I know reasons why I love Aladdin. I barley know Aladdin’s three friends. There is something about seeing all four on stage or just Babkak, Omar, and Kassim that is incredible to watch.