What are Musicals people should see their lifetimes. That depends on what they are looking for. I am a musical theatre fanatic, who does have an idea on what a musical is, which is mainly based on what I grew up with. However, I do not mind if musicals do not match those. So this is my list of must-see musicals.
- Lion King – If you loved the movie, check out the stage show. Even if you never saw the movie, check out the stage show. It is a family friendly musical. The way they create the animals is spectacular. You will get hooked into the musical from the opening number. That scene is breathtaking. It everything you think of when it comes to a musical- it has the spectacle, the dance, the comedy, the romance, positive and negative emotions in the score, and a strong emotion connection. It has characters you easily fall in love with. There are a number of characters to fall in love with: Rafiki, Mufasa, Zazu, Nala, and Simba.
2. Les Mis- This is the longest-running musical in the West End. If it lasts that long, then there has to be something special in it. If you want a musical with a ton of emotion, Les Mis is the musical to see. It is filled with emotion- from love to hope to compassion to heartbreak to guilt to hopeless to etc. If you want a truly “human” story, Les Mis is the one to visit. The story is epic, powerful, and passionate. It is tragic and inspirational in so many ways. All the characters all feel like they belong in Les Mis because they directly and indirectly impact each others lives. All I am saying is that if you want a filled with emotion, Les Mis is the way to go. In this musical, it is so difficult to choose your favorite song or character- that is how amazing the characters and songs are.
3. Wicked- This is another popular musical. If you want another spectacle and dance filled musical like Lion King, Wicked is another musical like that. If you want a story with a strong female protagonist, Wicked is perfect- after all it is not filled with one female protagonist, but two. It is another powerful musicals- it is about a beautiful friendship formed between Elphaba and Glinda.
4. Phantom of the Opera- If you want a musical filled with mystery and darkness, Phantom would be a good option. It is overall a love triangle. It has this haunting feeling to it, but at the time, it has this incredible beauty to it.
5. Beauty and the Beast- while it hasn’t been touring for a while, it is still an incredible musical to check out. It is home to this independent, brave, and unique, and caring protagonist. It teaches you that beauty comes from within. It is a very magical musical in so many ways. It is very magical in the fact that the castle that Belle becomes prisoner in is enchanted- she meets enchanted objects like Lumeire, Cogsworth, Mrs. Potts, and Chip.
6. Newsies-while home to basically all males, it is based of a true story, the 1899 Newsboy Strike. It is home to mind-blowing dance, which is worth watching. It is incredible watching their bond- they are basically one big family. Yes, I said, basically all males, but love that the reporter is female. Like a number of Disney musicals, there is romance: Jack, the leader and main character of Newsies, falls in love with Katherine, the reporter of the strike. It is so worth it in many ways.
7. Sound of Music- I mean, who would not love this musical when they see it? Songs that are easy to sing along to and so on. See what I mean? It is worth seeing.
What are must-sees? I know some some of these haven’t been on tour or exist on the West End of Broadway as of now, but still worth seeing at some point.