This is a list of my musical journey. Next door to each, I will put how I fell in love with these musicals and the year will be with them. Some of them, I don’t know which year, so I will put the time period that I know I did first see them. This list sure says the wide range of musicals I have seen.
- Beauty and the Beast-movie
- Lion King-movie
- Sound of Music-movie
- Wizard of OZ-movie
2006-age 12 in middle school
- Wicked-Broadway and the show which sparked my love for musicals
- High School Musical 1, High School Musical 2, High School Musical 3-movies
2008-beginning of high school
- Mamma Mia-movie
2012-first year of college
- Godspell-community college production
- Les Misérables-movie and the show which turned my love of musicals into a passion
- Phantom of the Opera-songs
- West Side Story-movie
- South Pacific-movie
- Fiddler on the Roof-movie
- Singing in the Rain-movie
- My Fair Lady-movie
- White Christmas-movie
- Seven Brides for Seven Brothers-movie
- Easter Parade-movie
- Bye Bye Birdie-movie
- Kiss Me Kate-movie
- Music Man- college production
- Man of La Mancha-movie
- Annie Get Your Gun-movie
- Hello Dolly-movie
- King and I-movie
- Little Shop of Horrors-college production
This is a wild list of musicals. Some I do care about more than others and love more than others. Much of the musicals I have seen are happy musicals and a good chunk of them just happen to have negative emotions in their songs and might have tragic events found within them. I grew up with happy musicals and they continue to exist to this day. Wicked was how I began to understand the emotional side of musicals and growing up I learned about excitement, love, joy, and sad.
Now I know that NOT all musicals are happy, but that some are tragic. And I know that NOT all musicals have dance or spectacle in them either. It was Les Mis that brought me to that realization. It even brought me to the realization that heartbreak is a musical emotion. Those are reasons why Les Mis made a huge impact on my life and turned my love of musicals into a passion even though there are other reasons. Its emotional nature is so rare in the musical world and that is one of the biggest reasons why the musical touches me so much.
What was your musical journey like?