This post is going to be dealing with my big love for musicals and I am going to only be bringing up the meaningful musicals. The meaningful musicals come in many shapes and sizes. Some of those are musicals that have been part of my life for quite a long time and some are quite new. When it comes to the meaningful musicals, the importance of their songs have the most impact on my life.
In my opinion, the meaningful musicals represent who I am as a person and who I am becoming. They show that I more open then I once was. They show that musicals are capable of more now compared to what they were capable of by the end of high school. They represent how far musicals have come. They cover everything that a musical is capable of. Some meaningful ones are “Annie”, “Sound of Music”, “Rent”, “Wicked”, and “Les Mis”.
Songs that stand out from these
- One Day More- best act 1 ending, soaring and powerful
- Do You Hear the People Sing (both versions)- filled with so much passion, one of best ways to end a musical
- On My Own- heartbreakingly beautiful- developing growing attachment to Eponine
- I Dreamed a Dream- heartbreakingly beautiful
- A Little Fall of Rain- so bittersweet and touching
- Master of the House- much-needed laugh
- Bring Him Home- wonderful prayer
- Finale of Rent- so memorable
- Seasons of Love-reminds me of how precious life is
- Will I?- so powerful in just three lines
- Defying Gravity- relate to its message of staying true to yourself
- Popular- very funny scene
- For Good- bittersweet, but represents the core of the show
- Dancing Through Life- introduction to Fiyero, where the core of show starts to unfold
- Edelweiss- truly represents family, meaningful: first piano recital song
- Do-Re-Mi- fun to sing to
- My Favorite Things- fun to sing to
- Tomorrow-anthem of hope
- Hard Knock Life- first time seeing the orphans sing together
- Your’e Never Fully Dressed Without a Smile- excitingly fun,
- NYC- just love the scene
Songs from musicals are meaningful to me for multiple reasons. They all are able to give me great pleasure no matter the emotion of the song. If I see those heartbreaking songs through joy, then I get more out of them. I can barley relate to sad musical songs, but still get something out of them. They represent who I am as a person. Some have memories attached to them. Some impact me in ways that I cannot simply describe.Some I actually can relate to. I can relate to “For Good”, “Tomorrow”, and “Defying Gravity” for sure. Sometimes I do not know why a song becomes meaningful or why I love it. Musical songs represent the emotions that music is capable of.
I feel as if the songs in musicals act as a separate character in the show. Without those songs, then the characters do not have a voice or are able to come to life. But once you add the songs to the characters, it allows them to become real. The characters become comfortable with addressing their emotions to the audience. Having the songs makes the audience connect to the characters. In my opinion, connecting to the characters means that you care for them and because of that, you are willing to feel their emotions.
Relating to a character means you have at some point been in their shoes before. For example, I can almost fully relate to Elphaba’s journey. I share some of her same personality traits and also can relate to what it is like to be different. I know what it is like to feel misunderstood, but that doesn’t stop me from being who I am. There are cases where I can connect to the characters, but hardly relate, which does happen through the Les Mis characters.
What are some meaningful musicals songs to you?